Trolling/Hate speech

Hier kannst Du Dich wegen Fehlverhaltens anderer Spielern beschweren.

Here you can complain about misbehavior of other players.
n_ero
Spieler

Please see chat logs for server Deathmatch 3 for player Heat@ trolling and using homophobic hate speech, as well as the usual 'mum jokes'. Not the first time its happened, either in my current iteration or previous. Not necessary, definitely hateful and downright disgusting.

Additionally, I am also concerned that certain players call for admin regarding swearing at a moments notice, as if they are using it as a threat. I have read the rules thoroughly and can see that swearing (within the bounds of decency) is allowed. I also note that within the rules it is made clear that any continued vexacious reports be treated as abuse of the rules and yet this doesnt seem to be applied to certain players (e.g. Anja_Mary). Please advise and confirm.

You will obviously take into account any responses etc, but there is no place for homophobic hate speech anywhere and you will not that at no point during any exchanges that any homphobic intent is denied.
Attachments
Capture2 copy.tif
Capture2 copy.tif (3.04 MiB) Viewed 709 times
Capture1 copy.tif
Capture1 copy.tif (3 MiB) Viewed 709 times
Edgar
Administrator

n_ero wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 01:35 [...] I also note that within the rules it is made clear that any continued vexacious reports be treated as abuse of the rules and yet this doesnt seem to be applied to certain players (e.g. Anja_Mary). Please advise and confirm.
Why do you think that administrators abuse their responsibility by not enforcing the rules in case certain players are involved?
n_ero
Spieler

Edgar wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 02:00
n_ero wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 01:35 [...] I also note that within the rules it is made clear that any continued vexacious reports be treated as abuse of the rules and yet this doesnt seem to be applied to certain players (e.g. Anja_Mary). Please advise and confirm.
Why do you think that administrators abuse their responsibility by not enforcing the rules in case certain players are involved?
Interesting that that is the first thing you pick up on. I would have thought that hate speech (which in the eyes of the law is illegal) would have been the priority. Anyway, where did I say that admins abuse their responsibility? I said that the rules state that vexacious reports will be treated as abuse. That doesnt appear to happen. Thats whats i said. Not that admins abuse that responsibility. And I asked for advisement and confirmation (i.e. what was the report of swearing treated like because the rules state what they state. Are we not supposed to adhere to the rules?). I am more than happy to be proved wrong. Is there a problem with my report?
Edgar
Administrator

There is no special priority in case a player reports multiple violations of the TOS. Also does my question not mean that I did not already had a look into the chatlog of the user. Whether hate speech is illegal or not, does not matter in our case, as we are an international project and therefore primarily enforce the TOS, not the law - which is in various cases less strict (or way more complicated) than our TOS. For instance, hate speech under German law (§ 130 StGB) always requires that the 'public peace' could be 'disturbed'. A public gaming platform which is (and most not) be used for political discussions such as Twitter has more options than a country or its government.

Reports — You might refer to Article 6.1.4 TOS. It requires the reporter to knowingly report behaviour which obviously does not violate any rules. That might be the simple reason the player Anja_Mary was not banned (violations of Article 6 always lead to a ban, not a warning). I have no evidence that admins deliberately allow her to make false-reports. It is anyway very rare that a player is banned for that.

Hate Speech — Your screenshots do not show any homophobic statements of player Heat@. When did he express such things? I'll check the chatlogs though.

Swearing — Swearing itself is not prohibited as long as there is no intention to offend other players.
Edgar
Administrator

I now read the whole chatlog. I found the passages you probably refer to:

I also found that:

The problem with that is, that an Individual Complaint (Article 15 TOS) is inadmissible in case of mutual violations:
Article 15.3 TOS
The complaint is inadmissible if mutual violations are involved.
Therefore, I can't take action against the player based on a complaint according to Article 15 TOS. However, I share the point that his boyfriend statement violates Article 6.1.1 TOS:
Article 6.1.1 TOS

Statements that are intended (intention) or suitable (suitability) to disparage or discriminate against others because of or in connection with their immutable characteristics, for example because of origin or in connection with gender, in particular the use of racist or sexually harassing phrases or terms. Suitability in this context means that it is not remote that the statement can also be understood accordingly (i.e. discriminatory), for example by someone linking origin with an insult without any factual reason.
I therefore banned the player accordingly: viewtopic.php?t=4662387

Please note, that you can also get banned by insulting other players, even if you think it might be legitime due to being only a reaction.
n_ero
Spieler

Edgar wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 02:52 There is no special priority in case a player reports multiple violations of the TOS. Also does my question not mean that I did not already had a look into the chatlog of the user. Whether hate speech is illegal or not, does not matter in our case, as we are an international project and therefore primarily enforce the TOS, not the law - which is in various cases less strict (or way more complicated) than our TOS. For instance, hate speech under German law (§ 130 StGB) always requires that the 'public peace' could be 'disturbed'. A public gaming platform which is (and most not) be used for political discussions such as Twitter has more options than a country or its government.
I get what you are saying, but the law does trump any terms of service. Regardless of where hate speech is posted (Twitter, Facebook, online chat), people can be prosecuted under the law of that state/country.
Edgar wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 02:52 Reports — You might refer to Article 6.1.4 TOS. It requires the reporter to knowingly report behaviour which obviously does not violate any rules. That might be the simple reason the player Anja_Mary was not banned (violations of Article 6 always lead to a ban, not a warning). I have no evidence that admins deliberately allow her to make false-reports. It is anyway very rare that a player is banned for that.
Firstly, ignorance is no excuse. Secondly, if someone regularly uses swear words on a server but then reports somebody else for this 'offence', that is knowingly reporting behaviour which does not violate any rules. I believe that is what happened last night. Again, I have not stated that admins are allowing this but as you (or maybe another admin) have said elsewhere on this forum, one admin may do something one way and another an other way. I don't want to come across as antagonstic, I just think the majority of players just want some consistency.
Edgar wrote: Tue 14. Mar 2023, 02:52 Hate Speech — Your screenshots do not show any homophobic statements of player Heat@. When did he express such things? I'll check the chatlogs though.
Thank you for going through the logs. Any attachments of chat logs were created in a tired bleary-eyed state.

Thank you for sorting this.
time2rad
Spieler

Between Heat@ and ;D. those players have been trolling premium players and use hate speech majority of times. This sick minded things needs to stop. Most feels extremely uncomfortable to play on the server with these players on and start picking on players that easily let others to join in. Got to stop the spreaders and let others know c2play will no longer tolerate this.
Edgar
Administrator

time2rad wrote: Thu 16. Mar 2023, 23:55 Between Heat@ and ;D. those players have been trolling premium players and use hate speech majority of times. This sick minded things needs to stop. Most feels extremely uncomfortable to play on the server with these players on and start picking on players that easily let others to join in. Got to stop the spreaders and let others know c2play will no longer tolerate this.
Hi krimzon!

If one of those insulted you, please file an individual complaint against them in the forum, create a new thread :) It must be filed on the same or next day after the insult to be valid.

EDIT: The chatlog was in this case to ban the player without an individual complaint: viewtopic.php?t=4673135
tatarcus
Spieler

time2rad wrote: Thu 16. Mar 2023, 23:55 Between Heat@ and ;D. those players have been trolling premium players and use hate speech majority of times. This sick minded things needs to stop. Most feels extremely uncomfortable to play on the server with these players on and start picking on players that easily let others to join in. Got to stop the spreaders and let others know c2play will no longer tolerate this.
I'm glad someone else noticed it, too. Well, I'm not glad you have to suffer from it as well :-| - but it's good to point out that it has become a more frequent issue and it's creating a bad culture on the server.
tatarcus
Spieler

So, is n_ero "DavidAddisonJr" and probably "StringerBell" and what have you?

Talking about bad culture on the server, this player inserts themselves into any kind of argument that's going on and tries to manipulate other players into taking their side. He's trying it with the admins now here, I see.

It's really rich, coming from a guy who without need insults people over their appearance to take a stance here defending themselves against slurs.

Here's the "jab" that rivfader took and my admittedly not very original rebuttal:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 2/lines/10

Nevertheless, "DavidAddisonJr" out of the blue insulted me over my appearance:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 1/lines/10

I asked him to be nice, trying to deescalate:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 9/lines/10

Only then did the whole "conversation" with Heat@ and him ensue. And I think Heat@ did what he did to show him what a hypocrite he is. Not that I want to defend Heat@ over this - I think he got rightly banned. But I do think that DavidAddisonJr, StringerBell, n_ero, whatever, is a hypocrite and quarreler whose attitude is bad for the server.
n_ero
Spieler

tatarcus wrote: Fri 17. Mar 2023, 14:45 So, is n_ero "DavidAddisonJr" and probably "StringerBell" and what have you?

Talking about bad culture on the server, this player inserts themselves into any kind of argument that's going on and tries to manipulate other players into taking their side. He's trying it with the admins now here, I see.

It's really rich, coming from a guy who without need insults people over their appearance to take a stance here defending themselves against slurs.

Here's the "jab" that rivfader took and my admittedly not very original rebuttal:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 2/lines/10

Nevertheless, "DavidAddisonJr" out of the blue insulted me over my appearance:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 1/lines/10

I asked him to be nice, trying to deescalate:

https://www.c2play.de/chatlog/server/28 ... 9/lines/10

Only then did the whole "conversation" with Heat@ and him ensue. And I think Heat@ did what he did to show him what a hypocrite he is. Not that I want to defend Heat@ over this - I think he got rightly banned. But I do think that DavidAddisonJr, StringerBell, n_ero, whatever, is a hypocrite and quarreler whose attitude is bad for the server.
Apologies admins for this response but the above is EXACTLY whats wrong. Tatarcus, you didnt need to get involved and you dont need to get involved now. This is nothing to do with you, but your constant digs and jibes are what provokes and this is proof of that. Maybe you want to rein that in and not have a go at someone who has supported this server for 6/7/8 years (ive lost count to be honest). The conversation with Heat@ was nothing to do with you. I have never provoked, only responded. In the most part, Ive never reported anyone (even Kowalsky!) but this went too far. If you want to report me, report me. Continuously provoking and then playing innocent is ridiculous.
tatarcus
Spieler

En contraire.

You inserted yourself into the little (and meaningless) exchange between rivfader and me by insulting me out of the blue, and only then did Heat@ come into play. It's all in the chat logs as I pointed out. Afterwards, I only interfered once again, to point out your hypocritical behaviour, as I did here.